Breaking News
Loading...
Friday, January 15, 2010

Info Post
Question: My problem is I have too many relatives. I like having company, and I love my nieces and nephews, but when holidays come around, it’s getting so overwhelming! When it’s my turn to host a family dinner, I slave in the kitchen for days, and then some people never show up, and others bring their beau of the moment. I either run out of food or have tons of leftovers. And then comes the cleaning. Gift-giving holidays are even worse. I never know what to give and end up spending too much on stuff nobody really needs.
Answer: If you like to go to your relatives’ homes for holiday entertainment, then you should live up to their expectations when it’s your turn to be a hostess. There are ways of getting it done without killing yourself. First, be firm in requesting RSVP two weeks in advance so you would be able to prepare slightly more than enough food. Count on two or three of your relatives still bringing extra guests no matter what they said before. When dinner ends, pack and hand out leftovers matter-of-factly. Whenever possible, use prepared foods, or better yet, involve your beloved nieces and nephews in pre-holiday preparations. Don’t hesitate to ask for help in cleaning. Communicating more with your relatives might give you a better idea about their interests, and what they would like to get as presents when the time comes. Doing things together greatly improves relationships, and isn’t it the whole purpose of family get-togethers? Try to make it fun, just the way it should be, and you’ll enjoy it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment