Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Info Post
By Emma Krasov, photography by Yuri Krasov
Coming to Le P’Ptit Laurent for the first time, I knew I was at the right place when I discovered that Moules Marinieres were made the right way here – with chardonnay, garlic, and parsley (no cream, SVP)!I figured out I was in a great place when I tried sautéed sweetbreads, lightly crusted with walnuts and smothered with aromatic mushroom coulis.Then drunken escargots arrived from Bourgogne – those snails eat Burgundy grapes all their lives before they make it to your plate – need I say more?Finally, I felt a little tipsy myself, thoroughly enjoying the syrah-merlot Reserve de L’Aube Vin de Pays D’Oc, recommended by M. Laurent Legendre, the proprietor, originally from Paris, France.Lapin facon Normande (rabbit stew) reminded me of my grandma’s cooking in the Old Country – lean tender meat with fingerling potatoes bathed in calvados flambé sauce.
By the time my dining companion and I shared his Cassoulet – without much fighting, as the portion was large enough – we’ve met most of the patrons at other tables and learned that the majority of them come here every week. Some do several times a week.The duck leg confit, pork shoulder, and Toulouse sausage Le Cassoulet toulousain Maison was worth coming back for, indeed, same as every single dish we’ve tried so far.Before desserts, I just indulged in the cozy and upbeat ambience of this Francophone little place in Glen Park neighborhood, watching M. Laurent’s casual and friendly interaction with his customers. At one point, he scraped the bottom of a porcelain dish, and spoon-fed some remaining crème-brulee to a dining lady, too polite to do it herself.
I knew I would be back, when our own desserts were delivered to the table – addictively bittersweet Soufflé au Chocolat with coconut sorbet, and Pain Perdu – caramelized French toast that would make you forget everything you ever knew about the French toast.
Le P’tit Laurent specializes in country-style French seasonal dishes using fresh, often locally sourced ingredients. A wildly popular “Neighborhood Menu” consists of three-course prix fixe choices that change weekly, available Sunday through Thursday at $22.00.
Head Chef is Julio Caceres trained at the San Francisco Culinary Academy and used to work for Clementine and Postrio before coming to Le P’tit Laurent.
The restaurant seats 40, plus 8 at the bar, and offers off-site catering.
Le P’tit Laurent Restaurant is located at 699 Chenery Street, San Francisco, California. Open nightly for dinner. Reservations by calling (415) 334-3235. More information at: www.leptitlaurent.net.

0 comments:

Post a Comment