Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, September 5, 2011

Info Post
By Emma Krasov, photography by Yuri Krasov
My BBQ rib judging experience at the Nugget Rib Cook-Off on Labor Day Sunday was surprisingly straightforward.During the Annual Judges’ Breakfast at Poolside Terrace of Nugget hotel, we were given precise guidelines by our Head Judge, Alan Zeman, in the presence of several industry observers called in to insure the fairness of the judging process.We were warned that it would be hard to decide what’s excellent, and what’s merely OK in the rib area [of a porker]. That’s because it’s all good stuff – tender, chewy, saucy, messy – any way you turn it, BBQ ribs are an all-American holiday staple and a definite crown pleaser.Prepped for the challenge, I took my place in the group B, along with San Francisco Chronicle celebrity travel editor Spud Hilton, and other distinguished judges.
We were not allowed to talk between ourselves, or say “m-m-m,” or look pleased of disgusted.In 40-minute time we were supposed to taste, cleanse our palates with raw veggies and/or some light beer, and taste again until all the ribs presented for our particular group would be evaluated. Running ahead, I must say, the veggies were not very popular for some reason.
I found it rather easy to compare and rate the appearance, texture, and taste of 12 different ribs from the slabs numbered 113-124 and delivered to the judges’ chambers for our group. We also had to judge the sauces that went with the ribs, in a separate category.My method was simple. First, I found the best looking slab and tasted a rib from it with some sauce. I discovered that it tasted as good as it looked. That became my evaluation point.
I compared all other tastings to my basic one, and rated them carefully grading from 1 to 10 on appearance and texture, and 1 to 20 on taste. Sauces went into 1 to 10 rating as well.
It seemed pretty clear to me when a slab appeared shiny and appetizing, or charred, or dry. I had no difficulty identifying succulent texture as opposed to rubbery, crusty, or undercooked.The only female in the judges’ panel, I felt I had an advantage of a naturally more refined palate, so I breathed through the tastes from pleasantly spicy with just enough kick to crave more, to oversalted or cloying.
The thrill of blind tasting lies in the possibility of selecting a product that would proceed to winning the grand prize or the prestigious people’s choice award.
At this moment, on Labor Day Monday, I am back home and preparing for my next trip elsewhere. The results of our judging are yet to be announced.
For me to know who did I select as my best favorites it would probably take another week. All I can say now is: My favorite ribs, including the sauces, came under numbers 113 and 122.Give me another week or so to publicize the names of their makers.Until then, eat [ribs], drink, and be merry!Arial view of the VIP Rib Village.Full tables at the VIP Rib Village.Missy Hinton, Rib Team, Nugget. Not a rib eater, Missy made sure all the judges were well taken care of. Long live tolerance! More info: www.janugget.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment