Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Info Post
Question: The other day I witnessed one of those scenes on a train that happen rather often. Don’t know why it continues bothering me. A man in his 40s was rolling his bicycle along the aisle, while a boy of about 19 with a skateboard in hand was trying to get past him in the opposite direction. The next thing everybody heard was the man yelling, Don’t you see I have a bike? Get out of my way, moron. Can you learn how to live in a society? The boy responded that he cannot read minds, and then he added a couple of swear words under his breath. Finally, they parted, and the man sat down holding his bike in front of him. He was blocking the door, but he was swearing loudly, and everyone just tried to avoid him and get to the other door. I felt bad not only because I had to hear all that, but because I thought that the boy was right. The man should’ve said excuse me, or something. Why would he expect everyone to just give him way?
Answer: It puzzles me as well. Anyone who is trying to pass by someone else close enough to be noticed has to politely excuse him or herself in a clear voice. Being older does not entitle one to be rude to a younger person, and a larger vehicle does not make its owner any bigger or more significant than those in his way. Interestingly, many bicyclists perceive themselves as a group, and stand up for their rights, even though if you look at their relationships with motorists and pedestrians, some bicyclists can be often seen rolling right in front of a car on a one-lane road, or approaching walkers on downgrade trails in public parks with high speed and no signal – not to mention small animals killed by speeding bicyclists in the wilderness. It remains a mystery what in a two-wheeler makes people feel so superior they wouldn’t resort to warnings or excuses. I share you feelings in this case, besides, skateboarders are younger and better looking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment